In the newest class of workout gear – technical fibers are all the rage. Comfortable, sweat wicking and temperature controlled are many benefits of “tech” gear. However, even with today’s workout gear being so high tech – it’s still not STINK FREE!
Check out some tips to preserve your gear and get the smell out!
- DON’T USE FABRIC SOFTENER
- Fabric softener coats the fabrics of your clothing and can prevent them from being able to absorb water and detergent when being washed.
- DON’T USE TOO MUCH DETERGENT
- In the same aspect of using fabric softener, using too much detergent can also coat your clothing and prevent the absorption of water.
- SOAK STINKY ITEMS
- A good pre-soak is often overlooked with a busy schedule, but your clothes will thank you! Pre-soaking in cold water with a sport specific detergent will help eliminate any pesky odors.
- USE SPORT SPECIFIC DETERGENT
- Sport specific detergents are formulated specifically for washing workout clothes and can be a valuable asset in keeping your clothes stink free. There are a variety of special detergents – come see us to try out Sweat X Sport!
- DON’T LET YOUR GEAR SIT AROUND
- Mold and mildew can begin to grow on workout gear that is left in a gym bag or laundry basket for too long, wash your gear sooner rather than later to prevent buildup.
- USE COLD WATER
- Technical fibers are generally on the delicate side and washing in cold water will help maintain any special performance properties for many workouts to come.
- DON’T COOK YOUR CLOTHES
- Consider hanging your gear to prevent you from drying out spandex, lycra and other fabrics
- READ THE LABEL
- Better safe than sorry! Some performance fabrics require special care, always check the label to ensure you’re maintaining the integrity of your gear!