We all have a favorite time of year – Fall is our favorite time of the year to run and train! The cooler weather is perfect for crushing PR’s at local fun runs and trying new workouts in the great outdoors.
Of course, with colder weather comes shorter days and trying to fit your run in wherever you can usually means running in the dark with low visibility. November is National Runner Safety month for these very reasons. Keep safe and be seen this fall with these tips:
- Be bright – Use blinky lights and reflective gear to be seen far away by motor vehicles.
- Have a Plan and Tell Someone – Plan your route ahead of time and try to stay away from poorly lit areas and troublesome intersections. Tell someone before you go out and mention your route details.
- Run with a Group – There is safety in numbers! Get some friends together or join a running club! Join us at Fit TRI Run Thursdays at 6pm or Saturdays at 6am for social runs!
- Carry Safety Devices – Wearsafe Tags are great to have on you during a run. They are lightweight and more accessible than a phone in most cases. If you are ever in a situation, all you have to do is press the button and your family is alerted to your location and sent an audio clip.
- Be Aware – We all love music and getting lost in our head during a run but it’s important to stay alert of your surroundings especially in the dark. AfterShokz Bluetooth Headphones are the safest alternative to traditional sport headphones and earbuds. Designed with athletes in mind, AfterShokz are sweatproof, feature bone conduction technology, secure open ear design, and allow you to hear your surroundings.